When the renters moved out they failed to mention in the past 10 years that there was a leak and water damage in the kitchen... not sure how you fail to mention this to your landlord in a 10 year span but it happened!
There have been two remodels to the house in the past 110 years. The 1928 remodel when a bathroom was added and a 1958 remodel when they finally put in a furnace, electric stove, and a hot water heater. Prior to this my poor great aunt was still stoking coal in a stove that was originally in the corner and hooked to the chimney. In 1958 the chimney was taken out of commission and covered so nicely with this dry wall.
Instead of trying to patch or redo the dry wall my dad and I decided that we would pay homage to the chimney that was once there and cover the wall with bricks. We thought this would be time saving and less messy (only ended up being a little).
To start my dad fitted the wall with plywood for the bricks to adhere too.
We used the little halfy bricks you can purchase. These are NOT the light little foam ones that people are always pinning on pinterest and putting on the side of their bathtubs for a quick face lift.
These are real bricks, just thin - here they are at Home Depot.
My dad and I took turns and shifts to complete this wall over a couple week period. You have to fit work in when you can sometime. To get correct spacing we used brick spacers and adhered the bricks to the wall with SimpleSet Thin Set Mortar.
Luckily for me I have my dad around and he took a load of bricks home and cut them in half to fit the smaller blank spaces you see above.
To fill in the spaces between the bricks we used a pastry bag. It was not the most time friendly and you hand definitely hurt after but the final product was worth it.
Not having this wall done was my excuse for not finishing other kitchen projects... guess it's time to start working on the kitchen more...